It is very important that you need to have clear picture of the business plan, before running any business. If you are planning to start a demolition company of your own, then you will need to make sure that you are aware of all the essentials required. There are a few crucial requirements to start a demolition business and at the same time make it your achievable goal. You will need to have the right equipment, and most importantly follow all relevant federal, state and local regulations. It is therefore prudent to consult with the right regulatory agency, so that you do not miss out on any requirements of your area.
The Elements Required
The elements that you will essentially require to start your own demolition company include:
- Demolition crew – It is best to have the most experienced people in the job and create your own demolition crew. If you are not interested in asbestos or other hazardous substance removal that requires special crew and tools, you can build your team with reliable general construction laborers.
- Demolition equipment – You must have specific equipment’s for demolition purpose, and these are quite expensive. To start your business, it is therefore wise to rent these instead of investing on a new purchase.
- Licenses and Other Permits – Make sure that you have proper license of a demolition contractor, Insurance and Employer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service is also required.
Know the Niche Ideas
In order to make your demolition company popular and different from those within the industry you must know and specialize in niche ideas. Most demolition companies will offer general demolition services, but you can focus on the niche areas such as:
- Pre-demolition analysis and planning
- Selective or total demolition of offices, apartments and warehouses and other structures
- Demolition sites after industrial explosion and fire along with its rehabilitation
- Asbestos removal
- Environmental cleanup
- Selective dismantling of heritage sites
- Facade preservation of the historic buildings
- Implosion demolition and
- Disposal, sale and recycling of materials collected from demolition sites.
Know the Level of Competition
Be assured that your demolition company will have to face fierce competition from the others in the industry. It is just as it is in any type of business that you plan to start. However, the level of competition in this industry largely depends on your business location, your niche area of operation and your capacity.
It is for this reason you need to create an exclusive niche for your demolition company, so that your experience is little or no competition. You will be able to monopolize the market for a long time before anyone else starts providing similar service and give competitions.
Be Prudent in Your Investment
You must be wise in making your investments especially when you equip your business. You must consider buying the basic equipment such as the hammers, shovels, grapples and power tools. A pickup truck would also be required, which you can avail on rent. It is important to keep the startup costs low and to the basics. As you grow up you may invest on buying heavy machinery such as cranes and excavators. This will minimize your capital investment and maximize your profit from your demolition company.
Also make sure that, you develop a safe working practice to protect your employees and to maintain the OSHA standards. Provide the workers with proper safety gears including hard hats, gloves, shoes and protective clothing. Ensure that they wear these during work especially while working with hazardous materials.
A Takeaway Tip
To maximize your income from your demolition company you should sell reclaimed material after demolition. This will also help you to offset a part of the demolition costs. There are several builders and homeowners who buy such materials to match with their existing materials such as bricks, timber and steel beams.